- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into approximately 1 1/2 -2 inch pieces
- 1 10 oz package Vigo Yellow Rice Mix
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1/2 spanish onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 large russet potato peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 garlic glove minced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Use a large and deep skillet with a cover. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to skillet and set to medium heat. Add pepper, onion, carrots and potato, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute and stir until lightly golden. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds, then add tomato and saute 30 seconds. Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside.Add remaining olive oil to saute pan and cook chicken pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Then add to pan 1 3/4 cups water, package of Vigo Yellow Rice and sauteed vegetables.
- Stir and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce temperature to low and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add peas and cilantro during last 5 minutes of cooking, stir and cover pan, and let simmer 5 more minutes.
- Uncover pan and fluff rice and serve. Garnish with guacamole and sour cream if desired. Yield: serves 4-6